Every time a consumer chooses an evaporative air conditioner over a refrigerated system, the benefits for the environment are significant.
Less Electricity Usage
- Evaporative air conditioners consume only a small proportion of the electricity consumed by a comparable refrigerated system. A Breezair Icon series evaporative air conditioner uses up to 40% less electricity than conventional ducted evaporative air conditioning systems and up to 90% less than refrigerated units.
- Therefore less fossil fuels like coal and natural gas will be consumed in the production of electricity and less electricity generation infrastructure will be required.
Lower Peak Energy Usage
- Lower Peak Energy usage means lower wiring costs, potentially useable with solar energy and less requirement for additional power stations.
No production of CFCs or HFCs
- Evaporative air conditioning systems contain no harmful synthetic refrigerants. Many of the gases used in refrigerated air conditioning are potent greenhouse gases like hydrofluorocarbons or chlorofluorocarbons which deplete the ozone layer.
Less Greenhouse Gas Production
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions are many times less with evaporative air conditioners compared with refrigerated alternatives. Carbon Dioxide is by far the main greenhouse gas.
- "33% of Australia's Greenhouse gas emissions come from Electricity generation" Source: Prime Ministers report "Securing Australia's Energy Future - 2004"
- "Refrigerated air conditioning consumes more energy and creates more greenhouse gases than fans and efficient evaporative cooling systems" Source: www.yourhome.gov.au